Monday, November 6, 2023

The Island and the Crater Lake

From Saturday; 28 October 2023

I was on an island that felt more like one in the Aleutians. It felt “earthy.” I got on the wrong vehicle (a bus maybe?) that was going to return me to my living space. It turned out to be a bus touring the island giving an historical and ecological tour. The guide, a sort of pudgy, warm native-like woman was pointing out architecture of living spaces along the way. Everything from primitive huts to something she called “sequash frames,” basically tiny, brick, salt box-like farm houses. I remember each one vividly, even after waking. Part of the ecological tour was along the rim of a crater lake at the top of a massive hill/small mountain. This time, as in the others it’s always near sunset and the far side of the crater is bathed in deep reds and oranges.

The whole dream made me feel connected, as if this is a place I belong, have been to many times, etc. It felt calming being lost in the history and landscape. Bucolic? Maybe. But the sense was more earthy. This may sound super weird, but that earthy feeling I got was the same way a fresh mushroom tastes. Somewhat dirt-like in a rich, loamy way.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Islands that are in cooler, not tropical climates, and the crater lake such as in this dream are recurring themes and locations in my dreams. It's not always the same island, but the crater lake is always the same geographically.

No comments:

Post a Comment